Skip to main content

Frank Wisniewski and Mary Novak: Series Post #1 - What's In a Name?

Thanks for joining me! I'm glad you're here, and I hope you'll continue reading as I find my way through sharing family history on this new blog. Here we go!

My Great-Grandmother, Lillian Alexandria Wisniewski, was my mother's mother's mother. According to my grandma, Arlene Dolores Vrana, Lillian's parents' names were Frank Wisniewski and Mary Novak. They were Polish, but other than that I had very little information about this family when I started researching.


Lillian Alexandria Wisniewski and Joseph Francis Vrana Sr.
Wedding -- August 27, 1924
St. Anne's Catholic Church, Castle Shannon, PA
Enhancement and colorization by MyHeritage.com.

Here is an abbreviated pedigree showing the relation of this family line to myself in green. The birth countries of Frank and Mary, their dates of birth/death, and Frank's possible parents' names of Charles and Rosa are all new information from my recent research.
I'll share my progress in the form of several mysteries over a series of blog posts.

Mystery #1: How many ways to spell "Wisniewski"?

So far, my list of alternate spellings for this surname includes 12: Wisniewski, Wisnoski, Wisneski, Wisniowki, Visnesky, Visnisky, Visneisky, Wisnesky, Wisnieska, Wishneski, Wisnosky, and Cherry. Yes, CHERRY!

The name derives from the Polish word for cherry, and it seems some members of the family at some points in time, including on the 1930 Census, went by "Cherry." I don't know whether this translation was offered by the census taker or by Frank himself, but I did see Cherry listed in a few other records for siblings of Lillian. Interestingly, Mary's obituary names her as "Mrs. Mary Wisneski (Cherry)."


The Washington Observer, February 17, 1947.


Frank and Mary lived in Allegheny County, PA from at least as early as 1903, though they each separately immigrated to the U.S. in the early 1890s. In 1910 they lived in Baldwin Township, and in 1920 they lived in Mine 3, aka Mollenauer, Bethel Township, both in Allegheny County, PA.

As you can imagine, it's pretty hard to find people from one census to the next if their surname changes so dramatically, and if they move from one county to a neighboring one during that decade. Searching with asterisks, such as "W*sn*sk*" will turn up most of the variations of the name, but it won't reveal any records for people with the surname "Cherry." 

Finally, after paging through the census records for several localities where I thought they might be living in 1930, EUREKA!


There they were: Frank, Mary, Stanley, John, Julia (daughter-in-law) and Edward CHERRY, living on Shady Avenue in Washington, Washington County, PA. Most of the family remained in Washington, PA or the surrounding areas for the rest of their lives. Interestingly, Stanley, Frank and Mary's oldest son (Lillian's older brother), never married, and lived with his mother until her death in 1947.

I hope you'll continue reading about Frank and Mary and the other mysteries I'm tackling to trace their roots, hopefully one day back to Poland. 

Please comment to let me know you're reading and feel free to ask questions or add any information you have about this family.

Comments

  1. I so enjoyed reading this and will reach out to you through Ancestry with more information. I am the great-grandaughter of Mary Novak Wisneski. My grandmother was her daughter, Susan Wisneski Morgan. Looking forward to connecting to you with the bit of information I have on this remarkable family. I learned somethings I did not know and am grateful to you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was great to connect with you, and I look forward to sharing info and keeping in touch.

      Delete

Post a Comment